There is nothing simpler or more flavorful than tomato egg, a classic Chinese dish that is made with just two humble ingredients: tomatoes and eggs.
From a hearty breakfast to a light summer lunch, you can enjoy tomato egg all year round. Tomatoes add a mild sweetness while eggs provide a creamy texture and delicate flavor.
This dish typically starts with tomatoes, eggs, ginger, and garlic, but you can also customize it with a variety of other ingredients like green onion, soy sauce, sweet onion, and chili pepper. It pairs great over steamed rice or served with a side of toast. I’m sure this dish will become your favorite to add to your daily meal.
Ingredients to make tomato eggs
- Minced ginger
- Minced garlic
- 3 tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- Cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons of water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
How to make tomato eggs
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with salt.
- Heat up a pan on high heat, and add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- Once the oil is hot, pour in the egg and push it around. Be sure to not overcook the egg, keep stirring until it’s 80% cooked. Set the egg aside.
- Cut tomato into small chunks.
- Heat up the same pan on medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Saute the garlic and ginger until they become fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and water. Cook until they become soft to your liking.
- Add the egg and season it with sugar and ketchup.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy.
Tips to make a perfect tomato egg
- Cut the tomatoes at an angle to prevent the juice from separating.
- Don’t use tomatoes that are too unripe or ripe. Any type of tomato will work.
- To make the egg fluffy and soft, make sure to use enough oil and start with high heat. Transfer the egg to a plate immediately when 80% cooked and be sure to cover it when preparing the tomatoes.