Hey there! If you’re looking for a delicious, yet simple noodle dish, here is my favorite noodles recipe that you can try. Shallot oil noodles is a quick and easy dish is a great way to add some flavor to your regular noodle routine. It’s savory, comforting, and packed with flavor. The combination of shallot, oil and variety of herbs makes for a unique and delicious meal. Plus, you can easily customize it with whatever ingredients you have on hand. So, let’s try to make the tastiest noodles, I’m sure you won’t regret it!
Ingredients for shallot noodles
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 4 cloves of shallot
- 1 tbsp of anise seed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- Minced green onion for garnishing
- OPTIONAL chili oil
How to make shallot oil noodles
- Heat up a pod on medium heat.
- Add oil, cinnamon, anise seed, and ginger. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain the stuff, but keep the oil for later.
- Use that same oil to fry the shallot. Be sure to turn off the heat right away when the shallot starts turning brown. Strain the shallot and set it aside.
- In a saucepan, add the same oil used to fry the shallot, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, dark soy sauce, and butter.
- Simmer the sauce for 10-12 minutes.
- Drizzle enough sauce onto the noodles of your choice and top it off with fried shallot and green onion.
Secret to achieving a chewy texture for the noodles
- Egg noodles, chow mein noodles, or wonton noodles is a good choice for this dish. Boil the noodles according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Before boiling, you want to spread the noodles evenly on a plate and microwave it for one minute. Now the surface of the noodles that get exposed to the air slightly shrinks and dries up, but the bottom is still moist. Flip the noodles to expose the bottom, and microwave again for 1 more minute.
- Doing this helps remove the moisture from the noodles, and the microwave push & pull on the noodles causing them to be tough and rubbery.