Hey there, foodies. I’m going to show you my method to make one of the most popular dishes in Korea, Galbi Jjim. The succulent beef short ribs marinated in a savory and sweet sauce with a variety of vegetables and traditional garnishes is a true gem of Korean dining.
This dish is often available at any traditional Korean restaurant, but they’re often so expensive. So, I think it’s better and more cost-effective to make it at home. Plus, here are the chance for your to impress family and friends.
Galbi jjim is perfect for a hearty meal and might take some time to bring it to perfection, but I can assure you the end is worth it. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to cook Galbi Jjim, so you can enjoy this delicious dish in the comfort of your own home.
Ingredients for Galbi Jjim
-2 lbs beef short ribs
-1/4 cup of soy sauce
-1 tbsp mirin or cooking wine
-1 tbsp brown sugar
-40g Korean pear
-1 tbsp Korean chili powder
-1 stick cinnamon stick
-Rice cake (optional)
How to make Galbi Jjim
-Fill up a large pot halfway with water and bring it to a boil.
-Cook the ribs for 5-8 minutes, drain, and rinse to remove impurities.
-In the same pot, place the short ribs and add enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Add radish, onion and continue to simmer for about 30 minutes or until the water evaporates halfway through.
-In the meantime, prepare the sauce. In a blender, combine the soy sauce, mirin or cooking wine, brown sugar, garlic, Korean pear, ginger, and Korean chili powder. Blend until smooth.
-Once the short ribs have simmered for 30 minutes, remove the radish and onion but keep the broth.
-Add the prepared sauce, peppercorn, cinnamon stick, and more water. Cover the pot and let it simmer until the ribs are tender. Add more water as needed.
-Last but not least, add carrots and chestnuts. If you’re using rice cake, add it now as well. Continue to simmer until the carrots and chestnuts become soft.
-Once everything is cooked, sprinkle some shredded mozzarella and use a culinary torch to melt the cheese. Garnish with green onions and serve with hot rice.
Can you make Galbi Jjim with instant pot?
You can definitely use an instant pot to save time. Here are the steps to make Galbi Jjim with instant pot:
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select “Saute” mode. Heat the oil in the pot and add the garlic and onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the beef short ribs and brown them on all sides for 5-7 minutes.
- In a blender, combine the soy sauce, mirin or cooking wine, brown sugar, garlic, Korean pear, ginger, and Korean chili powder. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the beef short ribs in the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and select “Manual” mode. Cook on high pressure for about 35 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is over, release the pressure naturally for 10-15 minutes.
- Open the lid and add the chopped carrots, chestnuts, and rice cake (if using). Select “Saute” mode again and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve the Galbi Jjim in a bowl and sprinkle chopped green onions on top.
What is the difference between Galbi Jjim and Kalbi?
Galbi Jjim and Kalbi are two different dishes that originate from the same basic ingredients, which are beef short ribs. The primary difference between the two dishes is the way they are prepared and cooked.
Galbi Jjim is a Korean braised beef short rib dish that is slow-cooked with various vegetables and a sweet and savory sauce made with soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and Korean pear.
Kalbi, on the other hand, is a Korean barbecue dish that features marinated beef short ribs that are grilled over an open flame. The marinade typically includes soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, garlic, and green onions, and gives the meat a sweet and savory flavor.
How do you make Korean short ribs not chewy?
To make Korean short ribs tender, it is important to use good quality beef short ribs and follow the preparation process carefully.
- The meat should be soaked and blanched to remove blood, excess fat, and impurities.
- Braising the meat for a long time over low heat can also help to make it tender. The use of a pressure cooker or slow cooker can also help to achieve a tender result.
- Bone-in short ribs is a good choice as the bone acts as an insulator, keeping the meat juicy
How long does it take to cook Galbi Jjim?
Typically, it takes about an hour to cook 2 lbs of Galbi Jjim on the stovetop over low heat. However, the actual cooking time can vary prepending on the thickness of the meat, and the cooking method. You can also use a pressure cooker or instant pot to speed up the process. Make sure to check the meat and adjust your cooking time accordingly to avoid overcooking.
There you have it. Galbi Jjim is an incredibly tasty and satisfying dish that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re preparing a family dinner or hosting a dinner party, Galbi Jjim is sure to impress your guests. Remember to take your time and follow the instructions carefully to ensure that you get the perfect balance of flavors.